MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
3119816

For several years I have been experiencing discomfort after

Customer Question

For several years I have been experiencing discomfort soon after sexual intercourse. The discomfort is in the groin area and the tip of the penis. I often get headaches and my entire body can feel as if I am suffering from the flu. I have had the routine types of blood test but have never tested positive for any STD's. I have been on Flomax 0.4MG for the about six years. My PSA is .3, my cholesterol total is 194. It appears that these symptoms tend to come and go. In other words, the symptoms are sometimes very severe. I get a physical at least once each year. I am 60 years old and married. What is the likely cause of these symptoms? What are the cures?

Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 years ago.
You are having a sex headache or a coital headache. Sex headaches are fairly common. The exact cause is not known.

In the vast majority of cases they are quite harmless. They will usually go away on their own. But sometimes they can be due to some other cause like a bleed in the brain.

In your case, since you have already had a checkup, it is very likely to be just a benign coital headache. I am afraid there is not much you can do for this. It usually runs a course of 2-3 years and clears up by itself. The main thing that you can do for this right now is to treat it symptomatically, with painkillers like Advil. It should subside by itself.

You can look up here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sex-headaches/DS00645
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1439.html

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, thanks for responding to my question. I have read the accompanying documentation but I don't believe that my symptoms were covered. My symptoms will start from the day of intercourse and could last for 5-10 days. My symptoms include frequent urination, a burning sensation at the tip of the penis, aches in the upper leg muscles and the butt muscles and headaches. Please share what you know about these symptons and include some suitable links.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, I did not 'accept' for the reasons mentioned in the 'Your Reply'. Coital Headaches aren't always the focus of my discomfort. I reported other symptoms in my original question and in the follow-up to your answer. Did you read the 'Your Reply' section before asking for an 'Accept'?   
Sorry about that, the mail asking for an accept goes out automatically some time after giving an answer. I did not want you to accept my answer, in fact I have opted out so that other experts can try to help you and your question is now open for other experts.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, when will I see some feedback from the other experts that you talked about on 02/28?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am still waiting to hear from the experts.
03/16/2009
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, what is the status of this listing? On February 28, 2009, you said '...I have opted out so that other experts can try to help you and your question is now open for other experts.'. Can you tell me if this was done? If so, how can I view what the experts have said? If not, why is it taking so long?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
It has taken so long because no other expert chose to answer. Now that I see your question, however, I will attempt to answer it to your satisfaction. I can explain everything EXCEPT the headache, I believe. It seems to me you have a prostate problem. This may or may not have an identifiable bacterial cause that would respond to treatment. Here is a link to a reliable site:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prostatitis/DS00341
Please make sure you read all the pages. You possibly have either category 2 or 3 prostatitis.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.
MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience: 20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.