Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

Ive had a lump on my head somewhere above my right ear for

I've had a lump on my head somewhere above my right ear for about three years. It didn't bother me until I had given birth about a year and a half ago, not to mention, it grew a little larger than I initially felt it. So my primary care physician prescribed me amoxicillan antibiotics. Then I started to increasingly feel pressure on that same side of my head. Before that, it was just an occasional headache on that one side only. Now it has turned to be a constant reminder of this lump and I can't help but to be paranoid over it. My medical insurance has expired and I've done research online, but somehow, I always end up finding my symptoms either not enough to be too worried or enough to stay worried. Being that getting an MRI is impossible for me right now, I was hoping that somebody of medical profession would be able to help me find what this is all about. Thank you.

What is the size of lump? Is it painful, red and tender? Is the skin over it can be moved or is stuck to the lump? Can you move the lump all over? How does it feels, fluid filled, soft, firm, hard? Can you compress it fully that it disappears?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response Dr. Arun. I feel much better knowing that I am talking with someone of adequate knowledge concerning my issue. As far as the size of my lump, it is about the size of a pea and it does not move with my skin; it's stationary on what it seems to be my skull. It isn't red or discolored in any way and is not tender, just annoying when touched. It's actually a solid, however, one morning when I had a really bad heachache, it felt a little mushy. But that was the only time. Right now, just as it always had been before, it is a hard substance. When I press it, it doesn't disappear, but rather feels pushed in. Thank you again Dr. Arun.

Following possibilities would be considered;

1) A dermoid cyst

2) An osteoma

3) A sebaceous cyst

All of these swellings are benign swelling and are not harmful or worrying.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer Dr. Arun. I'm so sorry to have bothered you once more, but I have one more concern. I still feel burning sensations as well as pressure headaches inside my head. I can feel the burning feeling all around, and the pressure headaches occur in different specific areas, favorably the right side. Sometimes I have to actually rub just those certain areas to relieve the distressed area. Note: it never occurs in my temples where most common headaches occur. Could this by any chance at all, Doctor, be a result of a tumor? Thank you once more for your patience Dr. Arun. I hope to hear from you again.

You are very welcome.

Tumor of the brain never come outside. This itself being tumor would be a very rare (almost unlikely) possibility. The headaches can be because of your worry or can be migraine, which can present in the ways you had described.

It is privilege and pleasure assisting you.

Feel free to ask, if you have further concerns.

Dr. Arun