Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

I am having difficulty swallowing. Feels like my throat is

I am having difficulty swallowing. Feels like my throat is very narrow and like there is something rubbing up against it when I swallow. Almost like there is something in the way. I can't swallow too much at once or it gets stuck and i really have to force it down. Sometimes I have trouble getting the act of swallowing started so it feels like food will get stuck in the throat if i don't. It also hurts to talk sometimes and it effects my voice. I also have had mostly upright reflux in the past with burning in the throat, constant sore throat most of the time. Now it seems it bothers me when i sit down and wake up in the morning. I had it checked out with a scope by an ENT but he found nothing... though he did say there was redness. My GI doc thinks it is a result of acid/bile reflux into my throat and that the inflammation is the cause of my problems. Can it be anything else?? i've had endoscopy & esophagram 2yrs ago and found nothing. esophageal rings maybe? anything??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 5 years ago.

Hello & welcome to Just Answer,

In order to help you better, would lie to know a few details:

How old are you?

Have you any other medical problem?

How long have you been suffering from this problem?

What is your height and weight?

What all medicines are you currently taking?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 30. I have no other medical problems. I started having this problem about 3 years ago. The symptoms were different at the time though: i had heartburn, excessive saliva, feeling pressure in my throat and having to vomit after i eat maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Then a few months later I had extreme difficulty swallowing. I would start off just fine but after a few bites it would get more and more difficult until i had to stop eating before i was done. Lost 40lbs because of that. For the last maybe 2 years my swallowing has been ok but still some difficulty, until about 4 weeks ago it got a lot worst! A few days ago it got even more worst and please refer back to my original question for the rest. currently i am 6ft weigh 198lbs

too add i just saw the doctor a few days ago. i continue to have like this crackling feeling when i swallow like there is something there rubbing up against my throat, also making it more narrow.

Thanks for the info.

Since you have been checked up by an ENT specialist as well as by a Gastroenterologist, and going by what has been told to you and relating with your present symptoms, you have an ‘acid reflux disease’ that is causing you all these problems that you have mentioned.

The cause of acid reflux would lie at the gastro-esophageal junction. It may be unusually dilated, or not closing up properly and letting the acid rise up the esophagus to reach your throat. Hiatus hernia, oesophageal webs, and Barret’s Ulcer have to be ruled out by endoscopy. Meanwhile your doctor may prescribe you some medicines to keep the acid production under check and provide you with another medicine that will help constrict the esophageal sphincter so as to deny acid from rising above into your throat. Specific management will be after an endoscopic examination or with it, if something correctable is found.

You also have a raised BMI of 26.9 Hence if you would control your weight it would help in easing your problem of acid reflux.

Best wishes.

Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience: +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.