Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

is there anyway to lower alkaline phosphatase

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

Alkaline phosphatase is an ezyme that reflects activity of the bone and liver.(Either may be a source of this enzyme) In what context do you ask this question?

It can sometimes be a marker of inflammation of the liver but if that were the case then other liver enzymes would be elevated.

It is higher in children than adults because their bones are growing.

It can be normally higher if there is a reason for a higher rate of bone turnover such as a healing fracture.

It can be a potentially worrisome sign for a bome related malignancy such as multiple myeloma or metastasis of a cancer to bone.

It can reflect a bone disease with an unusually high rate of bone turnover activity such as Paget's disease.

I hope this info helps. There is no way to exactly "turn off" or "turn down" this enzyme. The key is to understand why it is elevated. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD