Dr Matt
Dr Matt, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician, Adult and Pediatric

Ive been having really bad pain in my left arm. It feels like

Customer Question

I've been having really bad pain in my left arm. It feels like something is wrong deep inside my nerves or tendons right above my elbow. I went to the ER for it but they just said to ice it, take some motrin, and take it easy. But it seems to be getting worse. My arm started swelling up last night and it's still swollen today. I can barely move it w/ out experiencing shoot pain and throbbing. And earlier today I accidentally stretched it out all the way and it hurt so bad, it made me cry out in pain and my whole arm had this weird burning sensation after that.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Matt replied 7 years ago.
Please help with some more information. How old are you? Does this effect your right hand or left hand? Are you right handed or left handed? What type of work do you do? Is there any redness? Do ypu have an elevated temperature?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 24 years old. It's my left arm that's hurting and swollen. I am right handed. I'm a full time student so I don't work. However, I do mixed martial arts training. There is no redness. And I have no tempurature.
Expert:  Dr Matt replied 7 years ago.
Young, healthy, and athletic means the chances of a bony injury requiring an x-ray are very, very small. There seems to be no reason for an infection. I would start by icing it several times a day, and using an anti-inflammatory. Common over the counter medications would be ibuprofen or naproxen. Either works well to reduce inflammation, but you may also want some acetaminophen for additional pain relief. With rest, it should improve in 3-5 days. Likely your martial arts will cause some return of the pain, so ease back in gently.

There is the remote chance of a tendon or ligament damage. These are best evaluated with physical exam, either by a sports medicine minded physician (orthopedist, family medicine, etc) or a physical therapist. I doubt there is a joint injury which would need an MRI. That would be done if pain persists for months, and is not improved with what I have outlined.

I wish you the best. Good luck with your martial arts.