TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases

If a zostavax injection was given intramuscularly instead of

If a zostavax injection was given intramuscularly instead of Subcutaneous what complications can occur and is the vaccination effective?

There should not be any unexpected complications from getting it IM- you may get fever, and potentially could get a rash similar to the regular dosing. But there is less evidence for efficacy by being given the vaccine IM- it potentially could have bypassed the cells needed to mount a sufficient response, so the efficacy could be lower...

I would be tempted to wait a couple months, then revaccinate properly.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.