Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have pain in my right calf which started about two days ago,

I have pain in my right calf which started about two days ago, and tingling in my hands and feet. I also have chills but no fever and occasional chest pain but not severe. There is no swelling or redness to my calf nor is it warm to the touch. Should I go get seen right away or can I wait to get an appt with my doctor this week?

Greetings.

Are you diabetic? Are you on any medications? Do you have cough? Are you stressed anxious, over weight, smoker, take alcohol regularly, have breathing problem? Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am not a diabetic, I don not take any medications and I do not have a cough. I am a smoker, and an occasional drinker.

Your symptoms do not warrant an urgent medical examination. Though, I would like to watch for your symptom of breathlessness (though this can occur in smokers). If there is any pain in chest or increase in breathlessness, this would warrant a physical examination and investigations like EKG, chest x-ray, etc. Rest of your symptoms are not suggestive of any emergency and can be either correlated to pinched nerves in the spine (degenerative disc disease or bone spurs) or due to deficiency of vitamin B12.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My main concern is the pain in my right calf. Should I be worried about that? The chest pain has not been an ongoing thing, I just started experiencing these chest pain symptoms tonight. I do have a history of vein and blood clot problems in my family which made me concerned.

The absence of swelling, warmth, redness and tenderness do help in ruling out the deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). When tingling is associated, it is usually due to the nerves. If you have pain in calf during lying down or rest, with your family history, we may like to work on the cautionary side and seeking an early physical examination may be prudent. If the pain is not on rest, you may watch it. Any increase in pain or appearance of breathlessness may ask for an urgent evaluation. If the chest pain are anytime more than 6 or above, or you have family history of heart diseases, you may like to see a physician at an urgent care clinic or ER.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun