Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

after sitting I get up and cant put weight on my leg right

after sitting I get up and can't put weight on my leg right side. I stand for a moment or 2 then I can slowly start walking and it goes away.Pain is in the hip and butt area. I have some pain with this but it goes away.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
How long has this been going on?

Are you having weakness in the leg, or is it because of the pain?

Does your lower back hurt? Are you having that pain go down into the back of the thigh, knee, calf, and foot as well?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2- 3 weeks only weaknes is when i get up from sitting pain on the right side of my hip i'll stand and lean against the chair or car after a few limps it goes away. only pain is in the hip area
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
OK.

If you had to characterize where this hip pain is:

1. outside of the hip, worsened by pressing on the outside of the hip
2. outside and upper thigh, with numbness
3. in front of the hip, near the groin
4. back of the hip and buttock

How old are you?

Do you ever have this pain with exercise, or not after those first few limps?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
back of the hip and buttock. i am 50.not really.i walked 18 holes yesterday and it did't bother me again till i drove home.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
allso it's a discomfort to sit on the toilet.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Hmm.

OK. It is difficult to evaluate hip pain (and impossible over the Internet), so your best bet would be to see your doctor, who would be able to do an exam and order imaging (xrays of the hip, MRI of the hip or back, depending on the exam).

That being said, some of the possibilities:

Trochanteric bursitis - inflammation of the bursa over the hip, which can cause pain due to the inflammation, but usually this happens over the outside of the hip itself. This pain is caused by pressure on the outside of the hip.

Osteoarthritis - this pain is typically worse with movement (not pressure) and the fact that your pain disappears quickly after walking makes it less likely.

Fractures - unlikely since your pain disappears with walking

Poor circulation to the muscles - unlikely as pain disappears while walking, and you get it even while resting (sitting on the toilet).

Nerve compression - a possibility, especially since it is aggravated by pressure (sitting) and with movement (extension of the hip). Such pains can come from the sacroiliac joint, or the lower back.

But the first step in evaluation will be an exam and imaging.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you dr.mark