Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

My wife recently had a CT abdomen and pelvis without contrast.

My wife recently had a CT abdomen and pelvis without contrast. No comparison. Computed axial tomography of the abdomen and pelvis was performed using a stone protocol. In the second paragraph of the results, it goes through Kidneys, Bowel and Appendix. All are normal.   It says there is no evidence of mass or inflammatory change in right lower quadrant. There is no evidence of pneumoperitoneum. This part is what we are wondering about. There is a trace amount of nonspecific free fluid in the cul-de-sac. There is a urine filled bladder. There is a 2.7 cm right adnexal cyst. Is this on the bladder or ovary?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.

Can you please quote the whole report or the paragraph which you have a doubt as it is ?

Regards,

Dr.Joshi
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The kidneys demonstrate no evidence of hydronephrosis, nephrolithiasis, or obstructing urinary calculus. Examination of the bowel without benefit of oral contrast demonstrates no evidence of abnormality. the appendix is normal. There is no evidence of mass or inflammatory change in the right lower quadrant. There is no evidence of pneumoperitoneum. There is a trace amount of nonspecific free fluid in the cul-de-sac. There is a urine filled bladder. There is a 2.7 cm right adnexal cyst.

Impression: No acute precess. No evidence of hydronephrosis or obstructing urinary calculus.

What we wanted to know is where exactly is the fluid and the cyst.

A small amount of free fluid can normally be present in the cul- de - sac.

This 2.7 cm cyst is probably in your right Ovary and can be a mature follicle that is nearing Ovulation.

These two findings are related, as at the time of / around Ovulation, the mature follicle will enlarge and there would also be trace amount of free fluid in the Cul- de -sac.

An ovarian fluid filled cyst that is less than 3 cms in diameter is commonly physiological ( normal ) and is a mature follicle.

I hope this answer helps you understand your report.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi