Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

What can cause bleeding of mouth and nose at death?

what would cause bleeding of the mouth and nose at death?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any other information about the cause of death?

Was it infection?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no she was overweight but very healthy. no infection. absolutely ok the day before.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
How old was she?

Did she do any drugs?

Did they do an autopsy?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she was 36. no drugs. she did drink but not to excess (well maybe on occasion but for the most part light drinker)   they are doing an autopsy but we will not have the results for a day or two.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
Was there any investigation that ruled out foul play. Did she die alone. Was an autopsy performed.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, to find this in a young person is indeed unusual. To attribute a cause of death due to bleeding in the nose and mouth is difficult, as most things that could cause mucosal bleeding would not necessarily cause death (meaning there could be something else that caused her death totally unrelated). Regardless, the things can include: Trauma to the face Bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia Coumadin poisoning Cocaine use Aspirin overdose Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (a bleeding disorder that involves the entire body). The autopsy will help to see if there was another cause of death (pulmonary embolism, cardiac artery thrombosis -heart attack, etc). Perhaps our forensic specialist has some other opinions.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
I agree with the above experts reply. But if there are variables to this and the death was ruled suspicious then reply back as a new question. I would urge you to accept the above experts answer if your satisfied. If you would like to request me for further discussion you may post a new question directed to me. I will opt out at this point on this question.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

I am going with the rest of the answer provided by 4ren6 above as it is his area of expertise.

Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience: U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery