Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan,
5707095

I have pain above my belly button. It hurts worse on pressing

I have pain about 1 to 1.5 inches above my belly button, when i press down on it, it hurts worse and I can feel what seems like a ball.

At times I have shooting needle like pain across all of my abdomen but that comes and goes. What could it be?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 6 years ago.

I would like to help you but need further information.

What makes this pain worse? (Food, position, etc). What makes this pain better? (Food, position, etc).

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no pain and 10 being most pain you ever had, what number is ***** pain?

How long have you had this pain for?

On the whole, is it getting better or worse?

Are your periods regular, when was your last period and could you be pregnant?

Pain on urination? Any fever?

Thanks for answering

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me so soon...

laying flat on my back makes the pain feel better, every time i move it flares up especially if i move my torso, eating doesn't affect it when i cough the pain gets worse as well...i would scale the pain as a 3 when i am still and as a 7 to 8 when i move wrong or it flares up...i have had this pain since yesterday morning...my periods are regular since i am on the pill...my last period was Jun 15th to the 18th and i am not scheduled to have it again until July 13th. i don't think i could be pregnant since i take the pill like i'm supposed to, but i am married and sexually active so who knows...

thank you very much

Thanks for providing that additional information. Not being there, its impossible to say what this is, but from what you write I can potentially narrow this down a bit.

Because this pain does not worsen with food and seems unrelated to food it is likely NOT caused by your gallbladder, liver, or pancreas.

It is also not likely to be appendix related either.

It hurts more when you cough. Coughing changes the pressure within your abdomen, and does use some muscle groups. Its possible that you have muscle strain from something you were doing. Its hard to tell if the ball like thing you are pressing on is your xyphoid process, at the bottom of your sternum. That indeed makes misery when its pressed upon.

However likely that may be, and no way to tell without an exam, its not very safe to leave it that way...especially when there is a possibility that this could be a rather dangerous situation called an aortic aneurism...meaning a large blood vessel in your stomach has a weakness in its walls. Symptoms can be a pulsating sensation near the navel (you mention you feel a ball like object there), back pain, and pain in chest and abdomen.

You state your pain level when you move is a 7 or 8. While this could be anything from a muscle pull, to an ovarian cyst/ mittlesmertz (ovulation pain, often felt mid cycle), because the pain is so severe and could indicate something so disastrous, its not safe to assume its from a minor cause. I would get this pain assessed immediately, go to an ER....you've been in pain since yesterday, and quite a lot of it.

Please do go get this looked at, now.

Here is information on aortic aneurism: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aortic-aneurysm/DS00017

I hope I was able to help

Nurse Susan,
Experience: