Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

What could a red spot on the side of my breast be?

Customer Question

I have had a red round spot on the side of my breast for a long time. It looked like a bug bit almost but no bump. It appears to have gotten a tad bigger over time. It is smaller than a dime but very dark in color. What could this be? What kind of specialist should I see?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 10 years ago.
Press on the spot and take away your finger quickly - if it becomes pale and then becomes red again slowly, you are suffering from telengiectasia. Telengiectasias are small superficial blood vessels that may occur either spontaneously or may occur due to an underlying systemic cause like scleroderma. Since you have had the spot for a long time, I believe that it is harmless and has no systemic origin.
Please see here for more on telengiectasia :
The spot could also be due to a cherry angioma. These are also harmless. See here for photos of cherry angioma:
If you would like to have the spot examined, please consult a dermatologist ( skin doctor ) for the best advice.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you so much for your information. The spot I have looks nothing like the one in the pictures. This one is about the size of a pea right now and completely round and smooth. No bumps at all. I did a little research and it is possible IBC. It is not the rash looking type but more the bug bite looks.
The description you have given of the spot on your breast does not point to IBC. IBC is a very aggressive cancer and symptoms are usually apparent in days or months. The entire breast appears red, warm and inflamed. There may be itching and pain over the entire breast. the nipple may be pulled inside and appear puckered.
Please see here for more about signs and symptoms of IBC.
These are pictures of inflammatory breast cancer. I don't think that the description you have given of the spot in your breast matches these.
Does the spot resemble any of these pictures:
I believe that the spot on your breast is due to a local problem of the skin - a dilatation of the superficial blood vessels of the skin. It will be best to consult a dermatologist who can order a biopsy if he finds anything suspicious.
I hope this helps.