Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

The check engine light came on while driving 50mph. How do I

Customer Question

The check engine light came on while driving 50mph. How do I reset the check engine light on a 2008 Mazda Miata MX5?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on.
JA: Are you fixing your Miata MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the gas cap and it is on tight. I lifted the hood while the engine was running to check for any odd sounds or smells. Everything seems normal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

In order to reset the light you need a code reader or a scan tool. This light means there is a problem somewhere with the car. There are over 500 different reasons for the light to come on, so without a code it's difficult to tell you what the actual issue is. If the engine is running normally then its likely an evap emissions code, this will not affect the way the car runs and you can continue to drive the car.

Some of the larger parts chain stores have code readers and offer to check the codes for you at no charge. If you would like to get the code and post it with me, I could give you a much more detailed answer.
This would start with a P, like P0455 for example.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?