mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 2005 RX-8. The clutch is half way on the floor

Customer Question

I have a 2005 RX-8. The clutch is half way on the floor board. I can't get the gears to change. If I start the car while in gear, it starts moving backward or forward-almost like driving an automatic? Does my car require clutch fluid?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Yes. As of yesterday I couldn't get the years changed.
JA: Are you fixing your RX-8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've not tried anything. If its something simld like adding fluid, I can do that. Anything beyond that I'll need a mechanic.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I saw in an earlier response on this page that there's a clutch recall. Is that true for the 2005 RX-8?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  mike switzer replied 3 months ago.

you can start by trying to add fluid but it sounds like you have a leaking slave or master cylinder. how many mile are on your rx8?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
123,000
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Remove me from this list. I can see a mechanic for FREE on Monday. You never answered my question.

have you ever changed the clutch out? and when you add fluid it will still be down aways you will need to pump the pedal about 20 times and see if that helps you get the vehicle in gear if it does you have a leaking component normally the slave cylinder but if you get down on the floor and look at the firewall behind the clutch pedal and see fluid then your master cylinder is leaking.

I was trying to answer it but also need to go through a few questons to get a better idea. where do you live that a mechanic works for free?