Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I changed the motor and now it wont swtart 1995 mpv 3.oL,

Customer Question

i changed the motor and now it wont swtart 1995 mpv 3.oL
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: auto rear wheeel drive
JA: Are you fixing your MPV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i put another motor in it a japanese motor 57,000 miles on the motor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

is there a check engine light on ?

have you had a diagnostic scan and retrieved the fault codes ?

We need correct Fuel pressuer & good Spark for the engine to run correctly ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a 1995 mpv 3.0L yes there uis a check engine light o n but it6 never started it comes on any time you try to start a car i used a jumper wire and didnt get any codes, i havent checked fuel pressure its trying to st5art it acdts like its 180 out o n the distributor put i checked the timing on the belt 4 times already i am under thge under standing that i have3 a non interferance motor?the MPV WAS RUNNING FINE IT HAD A HEAD GASKET LEAKING so ui just bought another motor it changted out juswt like it should every thi g pluged in except the distributor i had to change cauise the plug was differant and the wiring i used from the old motor for the i njectors so the plug was the same, i i am an excellent mec been doing this all my life and this a 1995 so its not5 that new of a car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it almosts starts but it wont no matter how far one way or the other i t5urn the distributor
\
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will be fixing it my self i have a small shop where i build harl
ey engines and transmissions
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ill check back with you in a half hour

The wiring harness you used from other car did plug in the PCM ,you checked the pins & wires that they match even if the connectors fits , you might have empty cavities

are you getting spark ?

are the injectors pulsing ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello, i used the same wiring that was wit5h the orignal car nothing changed everything pluged in except like i said it was an earlier model distributor all i did was change distributor and the wires that goto thue injectors had a differant plug so i put the wires off the olde motor on the new one so every thing is the3 same that was in the car to start with, its getting spark and fuel, i just checked again,it looks like the motor came out of a 89 mpv cause it had and earlier model distributor on it which i changed other than thatr every thin g is the same it should have fired up?: im goin g to check the belt timing again and see? what dom you think o and i checked for trouble i used the jumper wire and when i turn on the key the engine light goes out and stays out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, is there diferance between a 1989-91 and 1995 3.0L motors, if so what might it be ?anjd am i going to have trouble smoging it because its an earlier motor?if i ever get it running?

hey how are you

sorry was offline yesterday

if you have correct fuel & spark it should fire

I would like for you to check timing first and we go from there

is that used ,compression checked

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they advertised that the engine was tested but i will do that today as for the timing i have done the belt 3 times to make suire i have it right ,it almost starts i gets to winding up and almost takes off withm out the starter but nit wont quite make it what ever it is it got to be something simple, unless the 1989-91 3.0 L motors are differant, i no the distributors are different the position of the number 1 cylinder on the distributor cap is orentated about 15 or so degrees different, if the earlier motors are inaferance and the later ones arent , that might be the difference, in the timing, if thats the case then im goi ng to have to change the ecm to an earlier one? and the distributor,if i have to do all that im going to be screwed at the smog shop? i wouold be better off rebuilding the orignal one?ill check then compression today and get back to you,

yes i m afraid so ,if the your state has smog testing .

i checked with older friend of mine that worked at mazda back in the 90 and 2000 ,this morning and you correct on the on the distributor difference , he told me you can not interchange them .

I m sorry man ,but rebuilding original is good idea

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well its not so much the diswtributor but the caqm senser and the ecm are going to be working at a differant time then the ecm on the later one injectors willl be sending fuel at the wrong time yea i live i n california if you can imagine all the bs i will have to go through

that is why i mentioned first if the pins & wires on pcm connector matches

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well i might be looking for a deal on some parts?

I always take pictures of harness and connectors when i got to junk yard to match , i learned it the hard way

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i didnt get it from a wrecking yard well i guess you could call the all japanese engine distributor a wrecking yard ? yeap

lol ,can you get money back