Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

January 5, 2017 Gentlemen I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute 2400 cc

Customer Question

January 5, 2017
Gentlemen
I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute 2400 cc automatic (Field break) for just about a year and started experiencing problems on December 31, 2016.
The vehicle would just not start and was diagnosed as an old battery that was replaced.
The vehicle worked fine for about an hour.
While driving I noticed for the very first time that there were two squares around the 1st gear and the letter D while driving in D.
The vehicle suddenly lost power while taking a left turn and all the lights on the instrument cluster appeared.
I turned off the switch and started the vehicle immediately to avoid an accident.
The next problem started when I would press the brake pedal the stearin wheel would lock and the engine would cut off.
The instrument panel showed the engine light staying on!
I drove the vehicle back home cautiously and checked the oil level the next morning , January 1, 2017 and discovered that the oil level was fine!
The vehicle started with no more problems for the day. I was able to attend church service and visit a few friends and family for the day. All appeared well.
On January 2, 2017 the vehicle would start at all with the new battery. There was no cranking except a soft initial hum though all lights and instrument panel were bright.
I then took a portable power pack that charges my tablet and placed the clips on the battery as per power pack instructions and got the vehicle started.
I brought the vehicle to the shop and was told that my sparkplug needed to be changed since the vehicle now has 104,000 Km.
The sparkplug change has not resolved the problem.
I have brought the vehicle to two mechanics and they have come up with two different conclusions: one states that it is the ignition switch and the other says it is the crankshaft sensor. They have both stated that the alternator is not the problem.
I am now confused as a five year old.
I would be pleased to get an expert perspective
Regards
Alex
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, why a mechanic would think its the spark plugs is beyond me......incompetent comes to mind. have you had the vehicle scanned for fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The guys have some portable stuff that they place under the stearin wheel . am not sure

that would be a scan tool. do you know what fault codes they retrieved?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am at work now. So you can type me the info

i didnt offer the call, the site does that automatically. sorry

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok

do you know what fault codes they retrieved?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We talking a small Caribbean Country without much sophistication and these guys horde information
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hence the reason I decided to reach out for professional help

if the check engine light is on, there is a fault in the system. i cant telepathically read the code. If you want help fixing your vehicle, I need the code.

i also need to know the static voltage of the battery and the running voltage of the battery. do you own a multi meter?

I will be on here throughout the day if you can get the information requested.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will have to go to a Nissan dealer that has all these equipment and get back in touch with you.Thanks

ok thanks

just checking in to see how its going

were you able to find the issue?