350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience
12772297

I have a mazda 2009 rx8 r3, my keyless entry warning light

Customer Question

I have a mazda 2009 rx8 r3, my keyless entry warning light is consistently on even though I have replaced the batt on my remote, I do not have the physical back u p key and it is becoming increasingly difficult to start car
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: replaced it
JA: Are you fixing your RX-8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not tried anything yet but changing batt considering dealership but leaving this as last resort
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else thank you
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

hello

when you replace the remote battery you need to run through a programming procedure as follows:#

• Make sure all doors are closed (trunk and hood too)
  • Open the driver door and keep it open
  • Sit in the car and put the key in the ignition (in the off position)
  • Now (driver door is still open) you will have to do the following three steps within 24 seconds...
  • Turn the key to On position (don't actually start it), then back Off. Do this step 3 times in a row (on-off on-off on-off)
  • Now find the little rubber stop on the inside of the car where the driver door closes onto. Its the rubber thing that pushes in and tells the car that the door is closed, should be by your left elbow. Push that in three times in a row.
  • The doors should lock and unlock a couple of times. When they stop, press a key on your remote twice! Most people use the unlock button.
  • Now pull the key out of the ignition and the remote should be programmed.

its also well worth checking that the connections to the rear antenna under the rear bumper

this image shows the antenna location but you don't have to remove the bumper to access the connector to clean it

Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you