Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

99 mazda crank but no start cold. 2.5L engine starts when

99 mazda crank but no start cold. 2.5L engine starts when ambient temp warm. Cold cranking results in cranking interupted by tripping and cranking and exhausted battery. Vehicle has new fuel pump and filter also new injectors. New spark plugs and wires. New timing and serpentine belt. New camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. Vegicle tripps when shifting at low RPM.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Have you checked the fuel pressure when cold?

When cold will it start at full throttle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Moose. As instructed it did start with throttle. A note- when i say cold i mean freezing temps it may have started anyway as ambiebt here is in the 40s.

When trying to start when hot or cold do you not touch the throttle when starting, your not supposed to, nor need to?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ive never had to touch throttle to start. I did so when directed by you cold at 41 degrees and it started without hesitation. New fuel pump and filter as well as injectors.

So far my recommendations are to:

• Clean the throttle body
  • Clean the MAF sensor
  • Use sea foam to fog the intake
  • Replace the idle air control valve.

Throttle applied when starting can bypass a bad IAC valve and can help with a flooded issue, since you have new injectors I doubt any are leaking and flooding the engine while off.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good evening Chris. I fulfilled your requests. The throttle body was very dirty. Cleaned everything and replaced as directed. Vehicle did start at ambient temps that are relatively warm. Will have to wait until temps go below freezing to test cold starting. It did seem to run a bit smoother. Performed test drive and engine was still bumping during up throttling primarily 3,4 and 5th.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My name is Matthew, thanks

Bumping meaning jerking like it has the hiccups?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
like the hiccups. I can mitigate the effect by backing off throttle and holding as best as i can. But definitely dosent exibit its full capacity.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also when cold starting the hiccups manifest in the crankig by stopping the crank and then the starter must begin again to crank only to stumble again. Its a new starter and the flywheel appeared good.

This running hiccup issue looks to be a misfire, possibly caused by the ignition coil weak and failing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright Chris i'll replace the ignition coil tomorrow. Signing off for the night. I let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks

Keep in touch on the results.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Chris. Sorry for the delay. The ignition coil has certainly improved the performance of the engine under stress although when really pushed it did hiccup. The starter is still having problems getting the engine started. The starter is new and issue did not exist prior to timing belt replace. Are there specific tests to verify that timing belt installed properly ? If not could it still run so well as it does. After ignition replacement check engine light went out but later reappeared.

You can check the cylinder compression to confirm it is timed correct.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are the symptoms consistent with timing issues ? Whats your opinion about cold cranking hesitation ?

Compression concerns from timing being out of specs can cause a hard start and hesitation concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Without taking the thing apart - again, the specific test would be specific cylinder compression to verify correct engine timing ?

Correct, a compression test to confirm all cylinders show about the same and above 115 is the test to perform.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Chris i will perform the test as soon as possible. If we time out i will certainly rate you very favorably. I cant imagine what else it could be ? I've pretty much replaced everything one can without removing the engine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Upon the advise of a mechanic friend I checked the spark plug wires, two of them on passenger side were incorrectly connected to the wrong cylinder. Once corrected the problem was solved. The mechanic hearing that I had replaced the timing belt and wires as well as a complaint of hiccups with hard starts said before I bring it to his shop to verify the wires are correct.