Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 that won't start due to a security

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 that won't start due to a security software issue that the non-Mazda dealership cannot access. I need to know IF this can be fixed and how so. Hope this makes sense
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes it is. The mechanic said it is the proprietary software that he cannot access to find out what is wrong exactly
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it is at a dealership. It is a Mazda 3, sorry.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that is all.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Is the security light flashing with the key off?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am not sure...did not notice if it is or isn't.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Okay then what makes you think you have a security issue ?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The mechanic cannot access the proprietary software. The battery, starter, alternator, etc. are fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

What type of problem are you having , will the car start and run? Please explain .

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay - will do. It will take me a minute or two to explain
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Im here

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
A little over a month ago, I began having issues with starting the car. It would not start the first time I turned the key, but would the second. Then it began happening a little more frequently, and took several times before it would start. Then last Wednesday, it would not start at all. Battery was fully charged, starter and alternator all fine. Had to have it towed, and it did start once at the dealership, but then would not start again. They cannot access the computer with their diagnostic device, and they determined that it is a Mazda proprietary software issue with the security system that is not allowing the car to be started. Only a Mazda dealership will be able to analyze and hopefully fix it.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

It is likely you could have a software issue here and that has to be accessed with a Mazda scan tool but before you do that try resetting the system. To do this disconnect both the battery cables and touch them together to see if it will reset. If after doing this and it still remains active then a scan will need to be done . Try the reset first and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It is at the dealership. I will call them tomorrow to see if that works. If it does not work, what might the scan reveal? Is this a fairly easy fix? And hopefully not terribly expensive?
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

If in fact it need to be scanned and the problem is with the alarm system , there should be a B fault code and or codes setting and those would need to be addressed from there.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can also ask them if the red security light is still flashing. If it is not, does that indicate that there is indeed an alarm system issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Yes please do, if the light in not flashing then it is not likely a security issue.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Because the light does flash when the car is turned off, or at least it has in the past. Isn't that what it is supposed to do?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry...trying to understand all of this.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Yes it should flash with the car off, see if its flashing with the key on as well.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay...will ask tomorrow. If it flashes with the key on, that means there is an issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Yes that is correct and have them try a reset and if that dose not work then its doing to need to be addressed with a Mazda compatible scan tool .

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am just really worried. I can't afford a huge repair bill right now.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Let try a reset first and see if that resolves the problem.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay. I will call them first thing in the morning. To make sure I understand, the battery cables are to be disconnected, then touched together, and reconnected to see if that resets the system?
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Yes that is correct. Im here tomorrow as well.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay. Thank you so much for your help. I am praying the reset works!
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Your very welcome , hopefully it will . If not post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will. Thanks again! Bye for now.
Expert:  Ron replied 20 days ago.

Thank you as well.