sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Ac works intermittently. Was in the shop for 3 days. Unable

Customer Question

Ac works intermittently. Was in the shop for 3 days. Unable to diagnose the problem
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Yes. Sometimes it will run a get cold. Usually at first start up in the morning. Sometimes if you shut the car off and crank it up again it will get cold for maybe 10 sec then compressor shuts off and it starts blowing hot air
JA: What is the model of your '10 Mazda?
Customer: It's a 2010 Mazda 6, 4 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I've had it at a reputable ac repair shop in town, they diagnosed it up and down. They narrowed it down to the evaporator temperature sensor. They replaced that and there was no change. A couple months ago I had cooling fans replaced the Mazda dealer in Tallahassee. I opted for the aftermarket fans. The local access repair shop said that could be the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I read once that it could be as simple as resetting the computer. I did that as well with no results.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will prevent the compressor from engaging and it will require some testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure what is going on.

I'm unsure if the repairs that were done were a guess or were done based on actual testing. If a problem was actually seen with the evaporator temperature signal and the sensor didn't fix it then there is most likely a wiring or connection issue with the sensor.

Did the shop that replaced the sensor actually diagnose the problem while it was happening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the repair was done after actual testing

Have you not returned to the shop that did that repair?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No reason to take it back to them. They had exhausted all avenues when I picked it up

Did they give it back to inoperative and told you they couldn't find the problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They couldn't diagnos the problem

Do you have another shop or dealer that you could take it to? It's going to require electrical testing to determine what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I didn't

Do you have a full capability scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't

It's going to require electrical testing to determine what is going on. If it's not something you're able to do on your own then a shop or dealer is going to be necessary. A scan tool at the very least is going to be necessary to monitor data and then testing will be required from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, I will

Great!