sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I think the anti theft system wont let me start the car. I

Customer Question

I think the anti theft system wont let me start the car. I replaced a 100 amp fuse in it because it was blown, but the anti theft wont quit and the car wont start
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2002 protege
JA: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ok, this honestly what happened. I put in a new battery but accidently had the battery in backwards (the posts were in the middle) and I hooked it up momentarily. This blew the fuse. I put the battery in right, replaced the fuse and now electrically everything works. But the anti theft wont quit going off. It goes on about thirty seconds and when you get in car or turn key it goes off again. Will not crank over
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have several things going on and it's going to require some electrical testing to determine what is going on. Reversed polarity can instantly damage any electrical component and it's likely that at least the powertrain control module has failed.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'anti theft going off'?