Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I took the ECU out to do some welding on the car. also I

Customer Question

I took the ECU out to do some welding on the car. also I disconnected the airbag on the steering wheel. and removed the cat, but not the O2 sensor . put it back together,and it won't start. check engine light stays on, and it chimes three times every few seconds. engine cranks but won't run. could there be a disable in the airbag system? or do I check the Ecu? thanks, jimi
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 91 miata
JA: Are you fixing your Miata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Actually, I got it free from a salvage yard. gassed it up and it ran. not good but it ran. since it had no interior I took the ECU out to cage it for a track car. I had to narrow the trans tunnel,so I took off the cat. it's all caged up now, and I will swap the motor, but I just need it to run for now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: so, it ran. I disconnected the ECU, and the airbag sensors. connected back up, except the wheel airbag. turn on ign, car chimes three times. check light stays on. won't even fire
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we start. Have you got a code reader or can have someone read a code from your ECU that will help narrow down what circuit is being effected.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after jumping the grnd to # 10 terminal on my OBD1 diag. port, and getting no code whatsoever, I made a futile attempt online to get a quick reasonable answer. Next thing I Know, I'm paying 23 bucks to be patronized. Shame on me! It won't ever happen again.