Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

We have a 2006 Mazda 5. The speedometer is not working. The

Customer Question

We have a 2006 Mazda 5. The speedometer is not working. The steering, brake, engine, abs, tire light stay on.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Brake light on too.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I am going to mechanic in small town without much Mazda experience. Most of lights on the dashboard stay on even when driving. Won't pass CA sog with lights on. Could it be an electrical issue.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The speedometer. And all the dashboard lights coming and staying on.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 8 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 days ago.

The most common cause for this problem if a faulty vehicle speed sensor. Your mechanic will have a scan tool and should be able to get the codes that are causing these lights to come on. They all could be related to the same problem as these modules communicate with each other on a CAN communication network.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 days ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks