Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2007 Mazda CX-7 with 146,000K miles. Can this car

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mazda CX-7 with 146,000K miles. Can this car jump timing while running? I was driving down the interstate doing a constant speed, all of a sudden the check engine light (which was on already) starts to continsulley flash, with no pattern. The car revs up, (I had it on cruse control) speeds up a little, then started making a knocking noise. I'm wondering if it bent a rod. I recently changed the plugs and coil packs on it, but the check engine light was still giving me misfire codes. I checked the tension on the timing chain while I was doing the plus, and there was some slack. Now, there's not any slack... what do you think could cause that? The car got me home that night, about another 6 miles. Never lost power. Now it will turn over but won't stay running. I think it will stay running if I give it gas, but I'm scared if anything is broke, giving it gas will make it worse.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Yes timing chain could jump while driving. Next step is a compression test, of more then one cylinder has low compression it is likely a timing issue if only one then likely a bent rod. Compression should be at least 130 psi. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much for your fast response. I'm hoping to get it into the shop soon, that will be my first test. I'm assuming this engine is a interference engine... is that correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

That is correct, let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get into it. Thanks!!
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

No problem, I'll be here if you need me. Thanks again and have a good evening!