Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

P0012 trouble code after replacing harmonic balancer -

Customer Question

p0012 trouble code after replacing harmonic balancer - retimed with special tools-twice!
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P0012 reset numorus times
JA: What year is your Special?
Customer: 08 cx7 2.3t
JA: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: customer vehicle A/C comp siezed melted rubber on balancer retimed cams and crank twice -no code before repair
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1- can you review the diagrams i sent you & do the steps listed .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
dont haveit apart right now ! cant understand corelation between oil passages and harmonic balancer repacement ran fine just no belt !runs good now sets code after 3 or4 drives ??

you still have improper timing ,loose chain or a pcm ,so necessarily oil issue , if you have been changing oil regularly ,that want be the case, but you have to inspect

in this case , i don't take guesses on it ,because you will be throwing parts at it, follow the list and check them all one by one

i know you checked but recheck timing again in case something got loose .

did this issue happened before the cam re timing and the ac compressor and belt failure .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
dont haveit apart right now ! cant understand corelation between oil passages and harmonic balancer repacement ran fine just no belt !runs good now sets code after 3 or4 drives ?? no lite before comp failure

i m not sure on this , I will opt out of the question and open it for other expert to assist you on it

Good luck with it

Chad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks for trying Chad
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I was reviewing the other tech info on your issue . If you do not mind i want to review that with you . When the balancer was removed it was set to tdc on the crank , pin in the block on the side and the 6 mm bolt through the balancer hole to the front cover then removed the center crank bolt and replace the balancer. then installed new balancer indexed to the 6 mm hole in the over and torqued.

is that correct?

thanks for your time