peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I've got a 2006 RX 8 Shinka with an auto trans. It has had

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a 2006 RX 8 Shinka with an auto trans. It has had an engine replacement done by the dealer a couple of years age and frankly has never been quite right since. The issue I am having at the moment involves the check engine light coming on/blinking when you accelerate hard when I put a scanner on it, I get a "cyl 1" misfire. I have replaced the coils wires and plugs to no avail, I have cleaned the MAF sensor still no resolution. My next step is to replace the fuel Injectors, but I thought I would do a bit more research first. I should also note that the car now cranks a bit longer than usual before starting. Any thoughts?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I was taking it to the dealer, then another mechanic and to be honest, none of them ever seem to get it right and I have spent literally 1000's of dollars so now I am doing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The fuel injector for cylinder 1 can be at fault to where it may not be atomizing properly.This will cause a misfire especially under load when driven when more fuel is needed.The fuel injectors need a pressure drop test involving a fuel pressure test gauge and an injector pulse tool or scan tool to pulse each injector to make sure this is the cause here.

I would also have a cylinder compression test done to see if number 1 is 15 psi or more lower on compression then the rest of the cylinders.If it is then this can indicate a valve issue in the cylinder head which was most likely a fault when the engine was put together before it was installed.In this case then you would want to contact the facility that the engine came from to see about parts warranty on a repair coverage for this repair or another replacement.

In some cases when it is the injector you can add injector cleaner to the fuel tank around 1/4 tank and run to near empty and repeat and this will clean up the injector but in some cases the injector may have to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete