sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I just purchased a 2002 Mazda Protege5. I was told that he

Customer Question

Good morning. I just purchased a 2002 Mazda Protege5. I was told that he and his nephew just replaced the clutch and when they finished the car was stuck in 3rd gear. He said that they didn't bleed it properly and if rebled properly the problem would be fixed. I am now doubting that. There is lots and lots of play in the stick but is not moving out of 3rd with the car running or off. The clutch does engage too close to the floor I believe, but it does engage allowing the car to run with the clutch depressed and with high rpm it can be released and driven. What is the most likely cause?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There may still be an issue with the clutch but there is definitely another problem if the shifter is loose and you're unable to shift even with the engine off. You have a linkage issue or possibly an internal issue in the transmission.

Have you checked the linkage to see if it's intact, physically blocked, loose, etc?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have not had a chance to get into it yet. Do you think with current info the linkage is the most likely problem
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 18 days ago.

IF the shifter is loose that almost surely indicates a linkage issue.