Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

Found code says primary/secondary coil circuit malfunction

Customer Question

Found code says primary/secondary coil circuit malfunction where is that part located?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: Code#p0351
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2002Mazda tribute v-6 3.0l LX
JA: What year is your Tribute?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ! Engine is on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I know they have six individual ignition coils but the code tell me A primary/secondary circuits malfunction
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 19 days ago.

Most of the time the actual issue is with the coil itself. Since this is cylinder #1 and you have to remove the upper intake to access it, I would also look at the plug. It is possible there is some kind of wiring issue to the coil, but really very unlikely.

This is the first cylinder on the passenger side of the engine closest to the firewall. If it hasn't had a plug change in a while, now is the time to do it, while you have access to the coils and plugs.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!