Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I needed to replace my Neutral Safety Switch on my 2006

I needed to replace my Neutral Safety Switch on my 2006 Mazda 3 because it wouldn't start in Park. Had no trouble replacing it but now it rolls when in reverse and when you step on the gas, it goes into reverse. When in Drive, it bucks the car backwards and when you step on the gas, it goes in reverse. Same with M1.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Chris....working on it right now

If you did not have these issues prior then it can be: a new bad sensor, damaged wiring to the sensor, sensor or linkage adjustment. Can you check those using the links below?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/TRadjust.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/adjust1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/console.pdf

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have taken readings from old switch and new switch. There are 8 positions on the switch. Both old and new switches give the same readings. Old switch wouldn't light "P" indicator on dash and wouldn't start the car. The new switch lights all indicators and starts in Park now, even though they have the same resistance readings. Readings of 4.28,1.1,1.49,745,389,63,91,0....So now Park is Park, Reverse is Reverse, Neutral is Neutral BUT Drive is Reverse and M1 is Reverse. When going from P to R it's smooth but when going from N to D, it bucks into reverse but then goes into N when stepping on the gas.....I'm going to put the old one back in and see if It makes any difference.

Let me know the results of the swap and cable adjusting.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
now the old switch is in and it now lights up the "P" indicator, which it didn't before and it starts in "P", which it didn't before but it won't go into reverse still. Shifting was just fine before I removed the switch. Why should it be different now?

As long as the sensors tests fine, the wiring is not damaged, the sensor is adjusted correct, and the linkage is adjusted correct. Then its a fluke failure and now there are concerns within the transaxle.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I took apart the console area with the cup holder in back of the shifter and the coin holder in front. t some point in testing everything over and over, I couldn't get the shifter to go into Park. I know about the soliniod that prevent it from moving and it's not that. My brother came over to look at it and found that the shift rod had somehow got behind the shift guide and that was blocking it from returning to the Park position. I may have pulled the cable from under the car. Anyway, now the car goes Forward when in R,D or DM. So now I know it's not the NSS or the transmission. It's electrical and has something to do with what is around the shifter. There are several microswitches. I haven't figured it out yet. So for the last two days, I couldn't get the car to go Forward, and now I can't get it to go into Reverse. What is in the console area that would cause this?

There is nothing in the center console that electrically tells the computer the gear you have selected. The NSS switch does that. Do you have a scan tool that can see what gear position is being received at the PCM from the NSS?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't have a scan tool......The same things are happening in forward and reverse. It's either Forward in R,D,M or Reverse in R,D,M. I'm moving the NSS slowly from Extreme right to Extreme Left, but that hasn't changed the direction of the car. Somehow, I got the car to go from reverse to forward and then reverse again and I can't tell you how it happened.

We are at a stand still on the diag without a tool. Since you have adjusted the sensor, linkage, and tested the sensor. We must know what the PCM is seeing prior to removing the pan and working inside the transaxle.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My testing is inconsistent. I was able to get different responses to shifting by moving the NSS today. At one point I was able to move forward when stepping on the gas while in Park. Now I'm back to P is P, R is R, N is N and D is Reverse and M is Reverse. Will get a scan tool tomorrow.

Super

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thought I was getting a scan tool but have to wait until Monday

This post is due to time out and close on the 24th