Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Have a fwd manual transmission car that sometimes vibrates

Customer Question

Have a fwd manual transmission car that sometimes vibrates while stopped in 1st gear giving slight revs...if I hold the revs and pull it out of gear while it vibrates it goes away immediately. This vibration never occurs while the car is moving, only stopped, in gear with food on clutch. If I pull it out of gear (leaving foot on clutch) it stops. The engine runs good and idles well. Feels like a rotational vibration possibly in the crank/flywheel/clutch assembly. I should also add that this car was converted from auto to manual and seems like it slowly happens rather then having to do with the conversion (unless I just dident notice it)
Been going crazy with this problem and am wondering
1. Can a transmission cause this vibration without the wheels moving?
2. If this was a balance problem would the vibration be constant?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There are some slight jerks around 1800rpm and 2500rpms while driving but nothing compared to the violent thrashing that happens while stopped
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5laaSd9XT0A video of me producing the problem
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. I read your notes and will watch your video. While I do can you answer this, Have you ever replaced the clutch? how many miles are on this vehicle?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The clutch is brand new. The flywheel was machines and the engine has 86000 original miles on it. The transmission has probably 230000 on it
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The car and engine 86000 miles

Thanx for that info , give me a bit to look over some notes and diagrams , will get back soon.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok

You said the clutch is new? Can you tell me exactly what parts were replaced please this is important.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Well for one the automatic transmission came out along with a torque convert and a flex plate, and was swapped for a manual transmission. A flywheel was installed to the crank along with a brand new clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, release bearing, pilot bearing) and a third pedal was installed along with a brand new clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder. Along with the linkage for the gear change. Three brand new transmission mounts...and I'm pretty sure that's it.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The flywheel was used but I had it machined. I wonder if it may have a slight warp? Or maybe the step wasent measured correctly?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The rear main seal was replaced aswell

Thanx for that input. What it looks like to me is the clutch is not fully disengaging because in gear it's still trying to push the vehicle , when out of gear or in neutral there is no drag. So what your going to have to do is see if You can give that cltch linkage a bit more travel. You should be able to adjust some at the pedal How much free play do you have before you actually feel resistance from the clutch. In other words how far can you push the clutch pedal before that happens?

I will be back latter tonight to see what you found.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 16 days ago.

Ok back , have you tried what I suggested yet?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay I have done some messing around with the clutch linkage already and it changed nothing. The clutch pedal catches maybe half way up.No matter the rod adjusted all the way in it all the way out toward the master there is no difference.

Ok you have to go to the slave cylinder to see how much travel it;s getting when someone pushes the pedal all the way to the floorCould you give me that measurement from rest to where it stops when pedal to floor. Make sure you don't have anything under the pedal restricting it.