david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I'm getting a rough surging idle in my 2003 3.0L tribute,

Customer Question

I'm getting a rough surging idle in my 2003 3.0L tribute, and it is very loud under the hood.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: it's sporadic. What happened at first was when I pulled onto interstate, all of a sudden I had a massive power loss, engine wouldn't rev past 2,500 rpm and my top speed was 35mph. No check engine lights. After getting off of interstate to see what was wrong, it suddenly gave me back power and I could rev the engine again, but it sounds like a big air leak and just gets louder the higher it revs.
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced a fresh air tube that I would was torn. It runs from the intake tube to a nozzle on the engine in the front of the car.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 22 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. with out being able to see or hear anything, my advice is to have a back pressure done on your exhaust system.

Expert:  david craig replied 21 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 20 days ago.

do you still need assistance???????????????????????

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hey, sorry for the late response. I work nights and finally had a day off today to look under the hood in the daylight. Found the side of the EGR housing had blown out and was leaking exhaust gas and not recirculating. I picked up a new one at the auto parts store and popped it in, the car runs fine now and I ran a diagnostics just to be sure, everything checks out. I attached a picture to this response. Can't believe I didn't see that the first time I looked, I guess working in the dark holding a flashing in your mouth isn't very efficient, contrary to popular belief!

oh wow...good find!!!!

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisifed with my assistance. its the only way i get credit for my help. thanks and have a great weekend.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I am concerned though that the egr may have blown out due to a clogged cat, putting excessive pressure on the egr. The symptoms seem to make sense since I originally lost most of my power and could not rev the engine up, but later got power back with the leak from the egr. I will do some more testing to find out more.

ok, well a back pressure test is still in order then