sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My engine light turned on as a result of a P144 OBD error

Customer Question

Hi, my engine light turned on as a result of a P144 OBD error code. Upon research, apparently the error code is related to a high voltage detected in the O2 sensor. I believe there are 3 O2 sensors in the Mazda6 (2007). When I erase the OBD codes to turn off the engine light, the same error code shows up again, maybe a week later. How should I go about fixing this, assuming I do it on my own. Should I change one sensor at a time and see if the engine light does not turn on again? If so which sensor should I change? Is is a challenging procedure? (I have replaced car batteries, installed after-market HID headlights and tasks like that) Are there alternative solutions?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P144 is one digit short. I assumed it was P0144 but that isn't a valid code for the vehicle listed.

Can you post the VIN and double check the fault code?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correct. I meant OBDII P0144 and the vehicle is a 2007 Mazda6.

That isn't a valid code. Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I'm not car-savvy, so please bear with me. Why is it not a valid code? When I do a google search, I get a clear result that it is about an O2 sensor problem, specifically Bank 1, Sensor 3. Regarding the VIN, I would like to keep it anonymous. Sorry, I don't understand why a VIN would help either.

A VIN would allow me to properly identify the vehicle. I don't have a way of identifying you personally by your VIN.

What engine do you have? That was missing in the original post.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You're correct V6 3.0L.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1YVHP80D975M01280

P0144 is not a valid code for this vehicle and it doesn't have a 'bank one sensor 3'. It has four sensors, two on each bank. Left and right upstream and downstream.