350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience
12772297

Husband is stuck.....car won't start back up. He's been

Customer Question

Husband is stuck.....car won't start back up. He's been sitting in it waiting for someone and it won't start. Dash lights come on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I don't think so......how do you check that?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2015 Mazda 6
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He's turned it off and with foot on brake all the lights come on but it doesn't start.....won't come out of park
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: he can get it out of park by taking his foot off the brake and hit start button twice. Little light to left of speedometer has car with lock through it
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 29 days ago.

Hello

If its stuck in park then I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up