david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Norman, my '10 CX 9 wouldn't start this morning; nothing

Customer Question

Hello Norman, my '10 CX 9 wouldn't start this morning; nothing came on. physical key had same non-reaction... nothing. Had this problem before and replaced key fob battery, but nothing happened. Eventually with wrangling the steering column, it started then. Have had other electrical problems, like the car turning off while driving - at night, so no power, lights, etc... It came back on shortly afterwards before having to stop. Also, many times the ABS, BSM, etc. lights come on and these systems don't work for periods of time, till something happens and the lights turn off on the dashboard and the systems work again. Also, the rear camera and navigation have stopped working. Car has 122,000 miles. I bought it used at 79k and have had these problems periodically. Today, I had to go to work and used another car; left mine in the driveway. Sounds like a lemon... definitely electrical. Also have seen others with similar problems online, but with no same fix. One person had a wire reconnected behind the dashboard from the ignition switch. Any ideas?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: No. there is no power now.
JA: Are you fixing your CX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself. I have been replacing fob battery, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminals, jiggling the steering wheel.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not other than who I contact at Mazda Corporate to report this lemon.
JA: What year is your '10 Mazda2?
Customer: 2010
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: CX 9 Grand Touring
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for using the site. based on my experience with 2 of these vehicle with just about the same symptoms, the ignition switch needs replaced. I was able to duplicate some of the symptoms by jiggling the key a bit and tapping around the area of the key cylinder while the vehicle was idling.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you, I'll look into that. Any ideas on the other electrical problems I have been having?

it may all be related to the ignition switch. check the alternator plug. make sure when you remove it that its not corroded inside, and when you put it back on it snaps into place. make sure all the connections on the battery are clean and tight and make sure the positive lead going into the fuse box is tight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, David. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. Will follow your recommendations! Kevin

you're welcome please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. i will leave this open after you rate me if you'd like, in case we need to go further. thanks and have a great day

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks David. Can I wait on the rating to see what the problem really is? I am very satisfied with your prompt, courteous and professional service and response. Another mechanic said the problem could be the battery, so try jumping it; and if that doesn't work, to put the fob in the freezer for about 30 minutes, since the fob loses communication with the car sometimes. I'll try those fixes first, then let you know.

thats fine. good luck

any news?

hello??????