john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner
6149662

Check engine light and transmission stuck in 3rd gear. It

Customer Question

Check engine light and transmission stuck in 3rd gear.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on. Had a transmission mechanic look at it and he came up with a code for the knock sensor. He has had my 06 mazda 6 for since last Wednesday. Just got it back today and he told me he replaced the knock sensor and to drive it normally to see if the problem comes back. The mechanic told me that Mazda didn't make it very easy to get to, but looking at this sight, it's just under the air intake manifold and attached with one bolt. Now I'm wondering if he did anything at all.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read what I just sent again. I explained it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. The transmission cluncks down very forcefully to 4th gear when accelerating hard from 6th gear. The mechanic that hopefully changed out my knock sensor finally got the car to do it and told me that he thinks it's something internal. He told me last Friday that he was going to open the transmission and see if he and his lead mechanic could find a problem with the 4th gear, but then he called me this morning to pick my car up and let me know about the knock sensor replacement and that the transmission was still going into 4th gear upon hard acceleration from 6th.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 month ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
any tranny codes?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No tranny codes. The mechanic I went to was a little stumped since this was a transmission issue, but he told me that the car most likely put itself into limp mode to protect itself when the CEL came on with the knock sensor code. He said that the new KS should fix the problem of the CEL and hopefully the stuck in 3rd gear issue, BUT we still have the issue of that very hard shift down to 4th from 6th gear when accelerating abruptly to keep speed up a hill or passing on the freeway. I figure the car should accelerate smoothly and stay in 6th since I'm already in 6th and not bang down hard to 4th. Always 4th and always a very hard, loud thud which makes the whole car shudder. At first I thought it was the engine because it's sounds and feels so far forward, but the dash always shows 4th gear when it happens, so I'm pretty sure it's the transmission.
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 28 days ago.

sounds like internal transmission issue...there should be tranny codes...but the symptoms point towards rebuild or replacement