roybelding
roybelding, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  40 years experience ASE master tech
3506196

2011 Mazda 3 2.0 auto trans. Showed a P0134 code on scanner.

Customer Question

2011 Mazda 3 2.0 auto trans. Showed a P0134 code on scanner. Replaced O2 sensor upstream and code went away. Car ran great for a week then the code P0134 showed up again. Replaced it the second time thinking that the 02 sensor I replaced it with is defective. I replaced it again and ran fine for a week. Now the code showed up again. What to do?
JA: Have you made sure the transmission is getting power?
Customer: Car runs fine with no transmission problems
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the 02 sensor twice.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: does the 02 sensor have a fuse. If it does, how come it ran fine for a week?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  roybelding replied 5 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, looked up the code and it is for the air fuel ratio sensor. I attached a list of possibilities for this code for you.

when you replace it and clear the code, it takes that long for the code to set as the pcm does its self check and it takes that long before it will set the light. there is mot likely nothing wrong with the sensor. check all items on the list and then we can talk some more.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the A/F sensor different from 02 sensor? I had it diagnosed by a certified mechanic with a state of the art scanner. p0134 shows 02 sensor fault.

no, in your model it is called an air fuel ratio sensor. they look the same but do the same job.

just because the code was for the sensor, does not mean it is bad. codes never identify bad parts just failed systems. your tech should know this

you need to check all possibilities

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But how come the code cleared and ran fine for a week after replacing?

it took that long for the pcm to see the fault. it is a 3 trip failure before it sets the code.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will take it to the Mazda dealership and find out of they say the same thing. If not, I want a refund please.

sorry you do not believe me. if you understood the system better you would understand.

good luck

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will not continue with the refund if they say the same thing.

ok, you asked for advice and I gave you my recommendations based on your input. I have been in the field 50 years and now teach it to beginners as well as master techs.

I will send your request to customer service. we are sub contractors and do not work for the site. we only get paid a small portion of what the site charges you and we only get paid after you accept our answers.

since you doubt me I am forwarding this to customer service for a refund

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 years or 50 years, there is nothing wrong with saying "I'm not so sure". The reason why I went to this site is to find out some more info about the problem before I go to the dealership. Because dealerships charge an arm and a leg for even a simple task. I have been to a couple of local mechanics and told me the same symptom and code and they couldn't figure it out. I was just trying to find out if there are more ideas out there. So since I will be going to the dealership anyway, I will bite the bullet on paying a hefty bill. It is what it is. Thanks for the refund.