Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I had a local mechanic swap the engine in my 2000 Mazda MPV

Customer Question

I had a local mechanic swap the engine in my 2000 Mazda MPV with a year later, low mileage salvage engine. After the swap, the engine would not crank. It would fire and run for a few revolutions with starter fluid squirt. No fuel to rail diagnosed. Changed the fuel pump. Now, when try to start, the hazard flashers flash 4 times, and the horn blows with each flash. Appears that the immobilizer system is engaged and will not clear. Has the transponder key, and the keyless entry fob with a new key fob battery. Fob does work to remotely lock and unlock doors (except for the driver side rear sliding door, with a bad actuator - but with old motor, the fact that the sliding door does not lock did not matter - vehicle would crank and idle somewhat, but not drive due to damage from previously broken timing chain). I saw a foreign video abut using a EKA Emergency Key Access code to reset the anti-theft immobilizer system on another make of care. Would this work for a Mazda MPV, and if so, what would the four digit code be?
JA: Do you have a voltmeter? If so, have you checked the battery's voltage?
Customer: Yes - battery voltage is 12.6 volts.
JA: Are you fixing your MPV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Working with the mechanic. Engine has been swapped, new fuel pump, and he has been using the pro series computer that hooks to the Obd port.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just returned from mechanic. Tried the reprogramming of key fob, but no effect - key fob works and indicated successful programing. Nunzio will try, 1st thing tomorrow, removing battery and battery tray, and checking-repositioning transmission shift leaver/cable, but do not expect will be of any help, given the hazard light flashing 4 times along with horn sounding when key turned to start. Can't find anything on line or in manual about meaning of 4 flashes/sounds..... One suggestion was to hold Valet button when cranking, but can find no such button on my MPV, and nothing in owners manual about having a valet switch.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

Does the vehicle have an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer on it?

Where is this valet button?

With the key in the run position is the theft light on or flashing?

The fob is not used nor part of the OEM theft system that prevents starting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Went to Nunzio's today. Tried removing the LUCAS LC62 67 5G2 Immobilizer Module, but had no effect on the no crank, hazard lights flashing 4 times with accompanying horn beeps. I did not jumper any pins on the connector, as there were no numbers. Also, I failed to mention earlier, that the Shift Leaver is locked in the parked position, and cannot be moved, even with key in ignition.

Where is this valet button?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried to assess that, but could not determine any anti-theft illuminations. Just the Check Engine, Seat Belt and other dash lights
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also - Nunzio will be trying to set up his computer to check signal to ECM, but since it would try to fire with Starter Fluid before it was moved to present position, don't see how that would have an effect. Was moved be removing shift cable from Trans Shift leaver, and manual shifting leaver to neutral. Even then, column shift leaver was still locked in park position.

You mentioned pressing a valet button, where is that on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cannot fdind that this MPV has such - Nunzio said that usually it was in glove box, but no such button.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, from my research, the anti-theft blinking lights do not sound the horn and activate hazard blinkers - just illuminate the anti-theft lights on panel
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When the old motor was pulled, the wiring harness was transferred to the new engine by his assistant. He said that Monday, he will re-check all connections to the ECM, which is all he knows at present to do. He has never run across the Hazard Light flashes with the horn sounding.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should have added, no input to starter. Just dead, except for functional dash lights.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had wanted to try something I saw on Youtube about removing starter relay and jumping 80 & 3?. But engine fuse box has no relay for starter. Nunzilo says on this Mazda, it is incorporated with the starter itself.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only other thing I didn't mention is that the wheel rotors, calipers and break pads were changed out, and there is no brake fluid in the reservoir. Don't see how ABS sensor could cause the above symptoms.

I am confused when you say no crank. The starter motor cranks the engine. The reason I am confused is because you then said:

• It would fire and run for a few revolutions with starter fluid squirt.
  • checking-repositioning transmission shift leaver/cable,

Are you saying right now it is in a no crank state where as you turn the key to the start position and nothing at all happens?

At the joint box behind the left kick panel is the ST SIGN 10 amp fuse powered with the key held in the start position?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Exactly - turn the key and nothing happens EXCEPT Hazard (left-right turn signal) flashes and horn sounds - starter does not engage/turn/crank engine - like totally dead. After engine swap, key WOULD engage starter, and with a squirt of starting fluid, would fire an momentarily run. The no starter engagement only occurred after fuel rail showed no gas, and transmission was shifted to neutral at the transmission leaver where shift cable attaches was placed in neutral. This was so the workers would push the car out of shop area to a new position. Have not checked the fuse box fuses, because when flashes and horn blowing occurred, would turn key back to stop position. I can check ST SIGN 10 amp Monday.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only other mechanic work was pulling the old fuel pump (totally rusted & corroded), fuel pump connector and engine compartment fuel relay socket checked for continuity with long jumper wire. Have not verified fuel pump runs because been fixated on the Hazard/horn aggravation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also concerned about the steering column shift leaver locked in park position and cannot be moved. When key turned off, steering wheel can be turned in either direction, and will lock as per normal. With key moved to accessory position, steering wheel will unlock and can be move back and forth. Still, Shift Leaver cannot be moved. So some pin remains engaged that prevents shifting.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lost internet connection, but back up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have found that the shift leaver stuck in park could well be the Shifter Interlock. But if that were the case, why would the Hazard lights flash and the horn sound? Have not yet verified that I have break lights when key in accessory position.

Can you report back Monday with the results on this fuse test so I am not stuck posting a partial answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Roger that - Thanks Moose; Larry H

Your welcome

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Moose: Here are the steps taken today.
1. Pulled horn relay to get rid of annoying horn blowing. Left/Right turn signals still flash 4 times. The only dash lights illuminated are: ABS, OIL, BRAKE, AIR BAG.
2. Checked to see if break lights come on when pedal pushed. Do have break lights.
3. Checked ST SISGN Fuse. Fuse was good (BUT see the repeat check below).
4. Nunzio fiddled around the transmission shifter, then tried cranking in each position. When hit (Neutral ?) car cranked (i.e. the starter turned the engine) but would not start.
5. Pulled each fuse in inside fuse box, and found one that was blown. Replaced it, but no effect.
6. Nunzio had me check the metal tips on each fuse, 1st to see if 12v in, and 12v out. All fuses showed power EXCEPT ST SIGN 10amp fuse. Pulled fuse, and it is good. However, probe of hot side of fuse block did not show 12v at the ST SIGN fuse location.
7. Disconnected the fuel line at the new fuel pump, connected a hose to run outside into a jar, and cranked engine. There was no fuel discharge from the fuel pump.
8. Replaced (reconnected) the LUCAS Immobilizer.
9. Column Shift Leaver remainsl locked in up (Park) position, and cannot be moved. Continues No Crank situation.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

I believe there are just to many issues going on for me to figure out and help you diagnose and fix for the fee you agreed to. I am opting out and letting another help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, Thanks for trying. Larry