FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 the brakes do not work. Bulbs have

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Mazda 3 the brakes do not work. Bulbs have been replaced, brake switch has been replaced. Still the lights don't work. However the center brake light works just fine and the brake lights light up when I have the hazard lights on. So power is getting there and the fuse has has been checked, just fine. The wiring and harness on the left side of the trunk appears to be fine no signs of damage etc. thoughts on what might be the issue with the brake lights not lighting up when the pedal ? Thanks
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Just checked the fluid. It's above the min. But we'll below the max. I couldn't tell you when it was changed likely when the brakes were done last. 3 years ago maybe 4?
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Like I said, changed the bulbs and changed the brake light switch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't believe so
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the rear signal lights work fine also?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Bobby, yes both rear signal lights work fine.

Thank you. The only reason why the two rear stop lights would not work and everything else would is because there has to be an open in the circuit between the brake light switch and the rear lights. The wires will split off in a connector and go to each of the rear lights and to the control module for the shift interlock. You will need to trace the wire from the rear brake lamp to find the brake. Usually it is under where the rear seat meets the trunk.