Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I have a 2015 CX5. Randomly for the last 18 months, it will

Customer Question

I have a 2015 CX5. Randomly for the last 18 months, it will make a clicking noise after I shut off the engine. Typically on a rainy day. This shorts out and drains the battery to the point where I can't start it. I can only get into the car via the manual key. I drove two blocks to a neighbors house last night and when I shut off the engine, it began clicking....
JA: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?
Customer: It has been to a Mazda dealer twice. They have witnessed the clicking noise. At the time, they blamed it on a remote start that was added. I had it removed 6 months ago and the problem still exists. Currently, the battery is disconnected because it did not make sense to let the battery get drained any further. We reconnected the battery last night, started the car and it would not allow us to put it into gear or turn it off! We disconnected the battery to kill the engine.
JA: Are you fixing your CX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, my boyfriend simply checked the wires, the battery, looked for moisture etc. It just happened late last night. Two months ago, it happened and I discovered the clicking right away. I left my car running for the next couple of hours at each of my showings. (I'm a Realtor) I called the dealership to get in, and they suggested I go to another dealership an hour away. (They honestly don't know how to fix this)! Oddly, my car started and I didn't have an issue until now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Since it was late, we simply set up a fan in hopes that it would help. The rain/wet conditions appear to be the common denominator. However, I drive in the rain and snow regulary and this only happens randomly.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

sorry to hear about your problem you having

if the battery is draining down , we need to start with finding the drain on the battery

Battery Drainage Test

1- need a Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician