Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mazda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mazda Diagnostics

Timing belt broke, I have found different post as to weather

Customer Question

Timing belt broke, I have found different post as to weather it is a interference or non interference engine. 03 2.0 mazada protege
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 196k, I pulled the covers and replaced the water pump at bout 110k. Timing belt was fine. Knew it was getting close
JA: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing it's at the shop that I take stuff to. I'm thinking that I will have to take this on just need to make room in the garage and spend a couple of days doing it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I went to the shop and spoke with personal there, if I have them I figure about 1000 dollars just for the belt if no other damage. When the car guit there were no sounds of metal into metal so
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 14 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Unfortunately, the 2003 Mazda Protoge with the 2.0L DOHC engine IS an interference engine. If the timing belt was to break while the engine was under load, there is a chance the valves could have been damaged. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 12 days ago.