Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have a 1990 2600i Mazda truck. The truck started skipping

Customer Question

I have a 1990 B 2600i Mazda truck. The truck started skipping iradically. I replaced air flow sensor - no change. I replaced distributor ran better but still skipped. I drove it 20 miles the truck smoothed out. I drove it the next day and the truck shut completely off. I checked spark, no spark. Two hrs later truck would start but after 20 mins. would die and again no spark. I replaced coil, ignition and control modular - no change. I asked Just Answer Pete Bagley said was the ignitor or the coil. I replaced distributor again, ran great for 50 miles. Then begin to skip badly. The next day runs great for how long I don t know. PLEASE help.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No, I can replaced the distibuter again and I probabley get another 50 miles. I think something causes the igniter to fail but what I don t know.
JA: Are you fixing your B2600i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, now and I got the distribitor from advance. ALL 3 of them.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 7 months ago.

Hi Im David, allow me a few to gather some info for you. thanks

there are a few things you need to do. first one is to have the fuel pressure checked. the pump could be over heating and weakening after a few miles of driving. then you can try this. drive the vehicle and while driving start playing with the ignition key by bumping it, and tapping the area around the ignition switch with you hand. ive seen bad ignition switches cause this exact problem.

checking in to see how its going