Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3 liters with turbo. CEL P0421 which

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3 liters with turbo. CEL P0421 which indicates my cat is bad. I have more than one cat in my vehicle so Im wondering which cat needs to be replaced or better yet what is the part # I need. Also I live in California so I know the emissions is different here.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays illuminated
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorta Im assisting my buddy who is going to do it, so far nothing has been done but obd2
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, this is the warm up catalytic converter which is built into the exhaust manifold, which means replacing the exhaust manifold.

The part number for California Emissions is L3C12050XB

Before replacing it, make sure that there is no exhaust leak at the manifold, as well as the O2 sensors are not loose and creating a leak.

If all good, then replace the exhaust manifold with built in converter

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

6 Oct 2016, 5:33 PM

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you.