Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My 1990 Mazda pick up truck was skipping. I replaced the

Customer Question

My 1990 Mazda pick up truck was skipping. I replaced the mass air flow sensor and the distributor but continued to skip but seemed to have more power. Then it just quit skipping while driving and smooth out. The next day it ran about 15 mins and it shut-off. No fire - replaced coil and ignition control module but continues to do the same.
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: No, it runs about 15 mins when cold then will not crank for another 2 hours. No fire. No hesitation or jerking during acceleration it runs like a new engine.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I replaced coil, distributor, wires, plugs, mass air flow sensor and ignition control module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.Before we start just a few QUESTONS TO GET A BETTER PICTURE OF WHATS HAPPENING. O YOU HAVE A GOOD SOARK AT THE SPARK PLUGS , STRONG BLUE SPARK?d

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
checked the spark at the coil wire to the block. the spark is orange but about half inch long and the engine does crank. Runs while idling but dies after accelerating and releasing the gas. then there is no spark and will not crank for about two hours.

that is a weak spark it should be a translucent blue crisp spark. just to clarify what parts you have replaced so far , coil, distributor, igniter module right? and where did you get these parts?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wires, plugs and distributor - Advance Auto Parts; coil and ignition module (new parts), mass air flow sensor (rebuilt) - Ebay

ok I seem to miss understand what the problem is right now . it runs ok now ? just a starting problem when warmed up? does it still stall or dy out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At first the 1990 b2600i mazda truck was skipping sporadically.Replaced mass air flow sensor no change. Re placed distributor still skipped but seemed to have more power. Drove it about 12 miles. Next day drove about 6 miles and the last mile the engine quit skipping. the next day drove it 1 mile and the engine died. no spark. After 3 hrs the engine will crank and idle but will die .if i try to go anywhere. Will not crank for another 2 hours. Replaced coil and ignition controll modular. No change

When you mean won't crank , do you mean the starter won't turn the engine or it won't fire up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The truck turns over fine. No trouble with the starter or the battery but I have no spark at the spark plugs. If I wait a couple hours it will start again but dies if I try to go anywhere and will not start because there is no spark at the spark plugs. TWO hours later I have spark at the spark plugs again and the engine will crank again. It will idle for 19 mins and will not start for the next 2 hours because I have no spark. Two hours later I have spark and the truck starts but it does the same thing cannot leave the driveway.

Isuspect you have a defective ignite r or coil it's got a weal spark and when it heats up quits Your getting power to those things or it wouldn't start and also you said it was an orange spark.check coil resistances and ignite r as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Changed the distribitor again. Ran great for 50 miles. Thern begain to skip again. whhat is burning up the ignit r.

Is this an after market ignigter you installed because I just finished helping another one with just the same problem and found out it was a faulty after market igniter that had an internal;l short even tried another which was actually worse as you couldn't put you hand on it. So I eventually convinced him to get an OME one and that solved it Just make sure all gronds and mounting surfaces are clean.