Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

I have a remote start on a 2013 Mazda 3. security light

Customer Question

I have a remote start on a 2013 Mazda 3. security light flashes and I can not start the car the car. Dash indicates I do not have the remote. Battery is new so it is not that.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: The light flashes. I do not know how to reset the security system. Also I have 2 remotes one works and the other one does not.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix myself. All I have did was put in a new battery in the remote. Also I have used the key to start it and that worked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It maybe a problem with the remote itself but I am not sure why.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

hi im david.

If the theft light flashes or is on while cranking, a fault has be found in the PATS system.

Remove any aftermarket remote start/alarm system that is installed. Next, turn the ignition on. Disconnect the battery. Clean cables if necessary. With the ignition on, reconnect the battery. Try and start the car 1 time with each key. Then try to start the car 5 times with each key. If the car still does not start, you either have faulty keys or a fault in the PATS system. You will need to bring it to a Mazda dealer and have them program the keys. They will also need to check for any fault codes stored in the PATS module. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks FOREWORD [IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM]Malfunction diagnosis occurs automatically when the ignition switch is turned from the LOCK (ACC) to the ON (START) position.If the results of the malfunction diagnosis show a malfunction, the security light displays a DTC and the PCM stores the DTC. DTCs stored in the PCM can be verified using the M-MDS.DTCs for the immobilizer system that are stored in the PCM are cleared when the ignition switch is turned from the ON to the LOCK (ACC) position.There are certain DTCs which can only be verified using the M-MDS, not the security light.The PID/data monitor function can be used to verify the number of keys registered for a single vehicle.If DTCs are not displayed even though the engine does not start, perform the following symptom troubleshooting:No.3 WILL NOT CRANK [LF,L3]CAUTION:Always use the M-MDS to verify DTCs even if the DTCs are verified by the security light display. If the security light has a malfunction, it is possible that a DTC may not be properly displayed.Always use the M-MDS to verify DTCs because there are certain DTCs which cannot be verified using the security light.If any of the following items are touching or near the key head, signal communication between the key and vehicle is negatively affected, resulting in the engine not starting. Do not start the engine if any of the following items are touching or near the key head.Any metallic objectSpare keys or keys for other vehicles equipped with an immobilizer systemAny electronic device, or any credit or other cards with magnetic stripsNOTE:If multiple DTCs are detected as a result of malfunction diagnosis, only the DTC with the lowest number of those detected will be displayed by the security light. The PCM stores multiple DTCs at the same time.If two or more immobilizer system DTCs are verified, first repair the part indicated by the security light displayed DTC. After repairing one location, turn the ignition switch from the LOCK to the ON position and perform an immobilizer system malfunction diagnosis.

checking in to see how its going