Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2007 CX-7. Loud ticking noise. I see bulletins regarding

Customer Question

2007 CX-7. Loud ticking noise. I see bulletins regarding VVT. There is very little room to work on the engine. What's the standard procedure - pull engine to be able to remove the cylinder head cover to inspect? Thanks, Bart
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Noise is top of engine, about a month.
JA: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, going to fix myself. Nothing yet, just gathering info.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, just want to get initial scope of work to even be able to inspect. Thanks.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, please allow me a moment to look up some information on your vehicle thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm working with mazda service bulletin: 01-010/11

Mazda CX-7 loud ticking Special Service Program

Who is effected:
Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct a Special Service Program (SSP) to extend the warranty coverage for the specific repair of variable valve timing (VVT) noise and/or timing chain noise concern, on certain 2007-2010 CX-7 vehicles equipped with the L3T engine produced from February 14, 2006 through February 26, 2010, and 2007-2010 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles equipped with L3T engine and produced from June 28, 2006 through February 27, 2010, and 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles equipped with L3T engine and produced from August 4, 2005 through June 30, 2007.

Warranty Changes
The warranty coverage for the specific repair is extended to 7 years (84 months) from the original warranty start date, with a 140,000 kilometer limitation.

What is the Problem?
On certain vehicles, a loud ticking noise may be exhibited from the VVT when the engine is first started at cold condition, due to wear on the lock pin hole in the VVT rotor or breakage of the VVT case.

After the Engine warms up, some vehicles may exhibit a knocking/rattle type noise from the front timing cover and/or valve (cylinder head) cover at engine speeds below 2,000 rpm, due to excessive stretching of the timing chain.
Note: The Warranty extension does not apply if the condition is determined to be due to poor maintenance (insufficient oil changes or using oil of viscosity lower than 5W30).

What should you do?

If your vehicle is functioning normally, there is no need to contact your dealer. We suggest keeping this letter with the vehicle's warranty information booklet for future reference.

Have you contacted the dealer to see if you are covered?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
contacted dealer, mileage is too high - 172,000 km.

sorry to hear that. this is quite a complex fix. is the noise coming from the front of the valve covers more so than the rear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
front. To refocus my initial question. There is very little room to work on the engine. What's the standard procedure - pull engine to be able to remove the cylinder head cover to inspect?

i believe the problem is going to be related to the timing components a clogged oil passages. the engine does not need to be removed to pull the valve cover gaskets.

the first thing i would do to try to alleviate the problem would be an immediate oil change. the vvt actuators and timing chain tensioner work off of oil pressure. if there is sludge in the engine it will block oil passages and not not the proper pressure get to these components, and you will begin to hear a ticking. if that doesnt alleviate the problem then it will be time to remove the engine front cover to inspect the timing components

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah oil is clean, just changed a month ago.When you say 'remove engine front cover', that's what I'm wondering about! Not much room, do I need to pull the motor?Also, what are your thoughts on attached service bulletin - maybe do it first before starting other work?

thats always a possibility that the holes got wallowed out. as a matter of fact i just ran into that on a nissan. had to get new vvt actuators and cam shafts. regardless if you are going to do all of that you might as well replace the chains, guides and tensioner too. its a hassle with the engine in. but its definitely better than taking it out, at least for me. you have to move a whole lot of things out of the way and remove the fan shroud, fan, etc....

checking in to see how its going