Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have a 99 nb 1.8 mx5. Recently fitted a new MAF and ever

Customer Question

I have a 99 nb 1.8 mx5. Recently fitted a new MAF and ever since, after running for 30 minutes or more, the engine idles erratically, ranging from 200 to 1200 plus rpm and stalling frequently. Restarts immediately after stalling and idles fine until the throttle is increased, after which it goes back to erratic idle.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. unplug the MAF and drive it. see if that eliminates the problem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi David. Is this not just a bandaid fix? I'll give it a try but even if it works, what does it signify? Is the new MAF faulty or has the installation created another problem?
Regards, Mike

its not a fix at all. i want to know if it drives ok with it unplugged. thats all.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dave.
Disconnected the MAFand went for a drive. Still has erratic idle with MAF isolated.
Regards, Mike
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Pull the EGR valve and clean the carbon deposits from inside of it ans the passages on its mounting flange. Remove the "S"shaped tube that feeds air to the ISC from the main air snorkel just before it enters into the throttle body. Leave the little "s"shaped tube (to the left when looking from the front of the car) attached to the ISC (attached to the bottom of the Throttle body). Fill the tube with your o2 sensor safe throttle body spray cleaner of choice. Let it soak for ten minutes. Reconnect the s shaped tube back to the snorkel (so you don't have unmetered air) and start the car. It will smoke like crazy until the cleaner burns off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My car does not have the hoses you refer to. There are no hoses connected to the ISC, only an electrical plug.

im talking about the air tube from the air filter box to the throttlebody.

just checking in to see how its going