Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

The car computer does not recognize that the gear is in P

Customer Question

The car computer does not recognize that the gear is in P position, and it tells me "Set Shift Lever to "P"".
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 3 years old. I have 2014 Mazda 6.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself. When the issue come up, I move the gear to different potions until the issue is resolved. I am looking for the root of the issue.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this the part need to be replaced "BHN246100D" to fix the issue?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When this issue happen I can not turn off the car completely.
Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

How many miles are on it? Is it still under warranty? The gear position indicator would most likely be controlled by the Transmission Control Module.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car is not under warranty. The miles is 74k. The problem comes intermittently. When it comes, I cannot turn off the car completely.
Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

Oh so not just a problem with the gear position indicator, you also can not turn the engine off?

2.5 SkyActiv engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.5 skyactive. The engine is turn off but not electronics. The car recognizes the gear position right on the cluster; however, when I try to turn it off, it displays "set shift lever to "P"".
Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

That starts to become a pretty complicated system. There is a park position switch on the shifter, its a pretty simple 2 wire circuit... open/closed switch. 2 wire, Purple/Yellow and solid black. If you know how to test a switch you could start there.

Expert:  GDibs replied 1 month ago.

here is a schematic of the switch