sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

It won't start. At first I thought the fob battery was dead

Customer Question

It won't start. At first I thought the fob battery was dead BC it didn't lock of unlock. I tried the back up way to start it and it don't work. Now it won't flash red or green or any color. I replaced the battery. Still doesn't work or recognize the key
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: This is a rental car
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: No. I'm at a hotel in a small town
JA: What year is your Mazda?
Customer: 2015 Mazda 3
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself. I've tried the back up and changing the battery of the key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what else to say? No lights are even being activated on the dash anymore
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing I would suspect given your symptoms is a dead battery. Do you have a way to try a jump start?

Keep in mind the car will be under warranty and a roadside assistance tow to a dealer would be covered, and the rental company should be taking care of this for you as long as you didn't cause the problem.