Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

I have a 1997 Miata, and the clutch peddle has started

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Miata, and the clutch peddle has started clicking when it is being depressed. The clutch still feels like it should when I'm changing gears, but I'm wondering if the clicking noise is the beginning of a maintenance problem.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No,
JA: What is the model of your '97 Mazda?
Customer: miata
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not really, I'm just wondering what is causing the noise and is the repair going to be expensive.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The clicking noise your describing is likely coming from either the throw out bearing and or the fingers on the pressure plate are starting to wear. In order to determine the exact cause you are going to need to try and isolate the noise at the transmission and the bell housing. If it turn out to be the throw out bearing and or the clutch you are best served to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing will your in there. You can expect this repair to be right at $500 give or take depending on market pricing in your area. As long as the clutch is not slipping you should be okay to monitor the noise and drive it will it get worse. Another words you have some time left to make this repair.