john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner
6149662

I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9. Last night I discovered my horn is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9. Last night I discovered my horn is not working. I checked the fuse and it was bad. I replaced it with another 15A fuse, it it blew right away. Does this mean there is a short somewhere? Could the horn relay be bad?
Might be related, but when we get a really heavy rain or go through the car wash, the alarm/horn will start going off seemingly randomly, like some water got in somewhere. After a while it clears up. But, I havn't washed the vehicle and we haven't got any rain recently. I had seen an issue with CX-9 with moon roofs having issue with drain clog causing water to penetrate BCM. My vehicle doesn't have moon roof so don't think there is an issue there.
Thanks,
Scott
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 3 months ago.

usually thats a bad horn try unplugging one horn at a time see if the fuse still pops

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
John, you are right. I picked the high horn and disconnected it. When I tried to honk the horn, still no sound but the fuse did not blow. Connected the horn, then when tried to honk the horn, fuse blew.Two follow-up questions:
1) Does it make sense that the low horn doesn't make a sound when high horn is disconnected?
2) Do I need to just replace the high horn?Thanks,
Scott

exactly there is a low tone and a high tone horn...so 2 tones

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
should I replace both horns?

id start with the one you unplugged

but horns are cheap it cant hurt to just replace them,, aftermarket are probably 20 bucks each

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!